Tuesday 11 August 2015

I'm smart enough to be Manchester United's centre-back, insists Blind

The 25-year-old partnered Chris Smalling in Saturday's 1-0 win over Tottenham and maintains he can fill the role on a long-term basis Daley Blindinsists he is “smart enough” to be Manchester United’sregular centre-back. The 25-year-old was paired with Chris Smalling in United’s 1-0 victory over Tottenham on Saturday, but has primarily played at left-back and in central midfield since his arrival from Ajax last summer. Louis van Gaal has already stated his preference to play a left-footed central defender and Blind maintains he is capable of filling the role. “I’ve said many times before that I just want to play,” Blind toldMUTV. “If you see what everyone can add to the team, then it's a real battle for places and everyone had to fight for a position. “I got a chance on this occasion and I tried my best. Of course, people always say I don't have the height or the power but I think I'm clever enough and smart enough. “I think we did well at the back, together with Chris [Smalling], Luke [Shaw] and Matteo [Darmian], and we got a clean sheet so I was happy.”


EmoticonEmoticon