Friday 2 October 2015

3 More Women – Including Former Mrs. America – Accuse Cosby of Sexual Harassment, Drugging and Sexual Assault

More Women Accuse Cosby of Sexual Harassment, Drugging and Sexual Assault 
 
Three more women have come forward with accusations that Bill Cosby drugged, sexually assaulted or sexually harassed them, bringing the former sitcom star's accuser tally to more than 50.

The latest allegations come from a former Mrs. America, a former cocktail server at a jazz club and a woman introduced to Cosby because she wanted him to help her be featured in Playboy magazine.

The three women will not "be the last to speak out about their accusations against Mr. Cosby," civil-rights attorney Gloria Allred said Wednesday in a statement obtained by PEOPLE.

Cosby's attorney did not immediately respond for comment. In a previous statement, the star's lawyer, Marty Singer, said claims "about alleged decades-old events are becoming increasingly ridiculous." Meanwhile Cosby's lawyer Monique Pressley declined to comment when contacted by PEOPLE.

Pamela Abeyta said she was a 25-year-old aspiring model when she met Cosby who was performing at the Las Vegas Hilton in 1979.

"I thought it might lead to an opportunity with Playboy because I knew Mr. Cosby was friends with Hugh Hefner so I went," she wrote in a statement obtained by PEOPLE.

Abeyta said Cosby invited her to stay in a guest room in his suite and the next day he bought her $2,500 in clothes. She said she attended a dinner show but by the end of the show "everything became a blur."

"I don't remember leaving the dinner show," she said. "When I came to I was lying in Bill Cosby's bed not my own room. I awakened for a second time and then blacked out. When I came to again I saw two other naked people in the room by the bed. Bill was sitting on the side of the bed and I blacked out again."

Abeyta said she woke up the next day, left the hotel, and barely remembered taking a flight home.

Sharon Van Ert claimed that at the time of her alleged assault in 1976 she was working as a cocktail waitress at Concerts of the Sea, a famous jazz club on the Redondo Beach pier where Cosby sometimes hung out. The former waitress claimed that as she left the club one night, Cosby offered to walk her to her car. Van Ert said Cosby got in her car and told her she was too drunk to drive.

"After a while, Mr. Cosby started getting fresh," she said. "He was touching me and rubbing my leg. The next thing I remember was waking up in my car, my head hanging down from the seat, alone. I knew I was drugged because I threw up and I never threw up or drank too much. I believe that he must have put something in my drink while we were closing up the place. When I got home I realized my panties were missing and I never found them."

Van Ert said she contacted the owner's wife about what happened but nothing came of it so she quit.

The third alleged victim, Lisa Christie, said Cosby became a father figure to her when she was an 18-year-old model. The former Mrs. America said she appeared on Jell-O commercials with him and was an occasional extra on The Cosby Show.

"I met him at his brownstone for acting lessons and I even met him at a jazz club in the Village where he had me dress to look like Lisa Bonet. He said that he wanted me to replace her on the Cosby Show," she alleged.

A couple of years after they met, Cosby allegedly flew her to meet him in Chicago at the Ambassador Hotel. At the hotel, Christie claimed Cosby gave her a drink and tried to kiss her. When she rebuffed his advances, Cosby allegedly told her, "You're never going to make it in this business unless you sleep with me."

Christie said she slept on the couch and left the motel the next morning.

With Mr. Cosby I was one of the fortunate ones to escape," said. "Now I am here to support all of the victims."

Cosby is scheduled to be deposed October 9 by Allred. Judy Huth claimed that Cosby molested her inside the Playboy Mansion when she was just 15 years old.

The deposition will be the first time Cosby has spoken about the sexual assault allegations against him since a separate case in 2005. Portions of that deposition were unsealed earlier this summer; in the deposition, Cosby admitted he gave Quaaludesto a woman and had sex with her.

Last week, Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and Fordham University in New York City rescinded honorary degrees they had given Cosby after votes by their respective boards of trustees.


EmoticonEmoticon